July is National Hot Dog month and what better way to celebrate than with some delicious recipes!
Note: I only use organic hot dogs I think they taste better and besides they are a lot better for you.
On the Bun
but these aren’t your typical dogs…
Hawaiian Style with Mango Salsa
recipe credit: Damn Delicious
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded minced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced
In a large bowl, combine mango, tomato, jalapeño, red onion cilantro, lime juice, honey and salt; set aside.
Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add hot dogs to the grill and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
To assemble the hot dogs, add hot dogs into each hot dog bun, top with mango salsa and avocado.
- Yellow Mustard
- Celery Salt
- Sport Peppers
- Serve on a poppyseed bun
- And absolutely no ketchup!
- Sliced or Mashed avocado
- Corn Salsa or regular salsa
- Crumbled cotija cheese.
Out of the Bun
Who said you could only eat hot dogs on buns?
Pigs in Different Blankets
- Wrap your dogs in the crescent rolls or pretzel dough
- Bake in the oven according to the package usually 450 for 12-15minutes
- Allow to cool before serving
- Serve with mustard, ketchup, or BBQ sauce
- Wrap the hot dogs using one slice of bacon each, or more if bacon is really your thing.
- Secure the bacon using toothpicks
- Grill at about 350°F or cook on the stove top either way keep cooking until the bacon is done.
- Allow to cool before you remove the toothpicks
- Serve with maple syrup, mayo, or miracle whip
For the Kids
Hot Dogs with Noodles
Source credit: Pinterest seriously a lot of variations just do a search!
- Cut Hot Dogs into smaller bites
- Pierce them with whole wheat angel hair pasta
- Boil according to the pasta directions
- Serve with a butter sauce or red sauce
Hot Dog Quesadilla
- Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Cheese of your choice, I love colby jack
- Hot dogs sliced in thin slices
- This is where I would stop for my kids but if yours like lettuce, onions, or any other typical quesadilla toppings then add them on too
- Build your quesadilla and cook it for about 2 minutes each on both sides.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice it evenly. You know how kids can be about serving sizes!
- Serve with sour cream or salsa
These never go out of style
Hot Dog on a Bun
- Topped with a combination of ketchup, mustard, and/or relish
Chili Dog on a Bun
- Chili, cheese, maybe some sour cream, this classic is one of my favorites!
Baked Beans and Hot Dogs
- BBQ baked beans with hot dogs cut up, I think I never went to a picnic as a child where there wasn’t a pot of this sitting out!
Happy Hot Dog Month!